The Wonderful World of Micro-Donating! How Technology Met Fundraising, Had a Millennial Donor Baby, and Lived Happily Ever After
Wouldn’t it be great if your nonprofit could fundraise around the clock? What if you could bring in revenue while you’re sleeping and from a whole new demographic? There is a way! And, yes, of course, it has something to do with Blue Fox’s favorite thing, technology. We’re talking about the exciting and growing world of micro-donating or micro-philanthropy.
According to Tech’s Good, The Power of Micro-Donations, “Micro-donations (between $0.25 and $10) are the latest and most disruptive innovation in the world of giving. As technology in mobile payment methods continues to advance, credit card transaction fees have significantly decreased, making it now possible to donate as little as $0.25.” Wow, anyone can afford that!
Even more interesting, in CrowdRise by GoFundMe’s recent social fundraising data report it says, “We found that Millennials and Gen X generations made up nearly 50% of all GoFundMe donors.” What a great way to tap into a whole new demographic!
Let’s give three cheers for technology as a complement to your nonprofit fundraising efforts! Here is our non-exhaustive list of micro-philanthropy platforms that have collectively raised millions of dollars:
• AmazonSmile - Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization when users shop on the smile.amazon.com web browser.
• Causetap - For profit companies choose which interactions will trigger charitable giving (a purchase, newsletter sign-up, or social sharing) for the charity of their choice.
• CharityMiles – Users record their movement to earn money for a charity of their choice with funds coming from the corporate sponsor pool.
• Cheerful – A mobile app facilitating spare change collection on purchases to be donated to charity of your choice.
• Give2Charity – Users earn points simply by going about their day to exchange for donations.
• CrowdRise by GoFundMe – Users can create their personal fundraising page to collect donations.
• GoogleOneToday – Provides access to real-world photos and quick summaries for users to follow the impact of a $1 donation.
• Razoo - Donors can search for charities, donate quickly, and set up personal fundraising pages for the cause of their choice.
• Spotfund - App for micro-donating, also offering event ticketing, live auctions, creative agency, etc.
• SwearJar by Slack – When a team member swears on slack, a donation is made to the charity of the week.
Thinking about utilizing one of these applications for your charity? Check out this advice on starting a micro-philanthropy campaign, courtesy of Accesso, Fundraising in an Era of Micro Philanthropy.
Thinking about utilizing one of these applications for your charitable giving? Well, good, we did our job! Our team at Blue Fox is super passionate about supporting organizations that shape and create change in their communities, no matter how large or small. Well, we made the connection. Now, you go be the change. Better yet, go give your spare change!
• Accesso, Fundraising in an Era of Micro Philanthropy, by Stephanie Horwath
• NC State University, Why Micro-Donations Are the Future of Fundraising, by Gary Wohlfeill
• Tech’s Good, The Power of Micro-donations by Peter Prix
• Quara, What are similar initiatives to AmazonSmile, by Jason Grad
About: Our team at Blue Fox provides customized, boutique financial and back office services for social impact organizations. Services range from standard bookkeeping and payroll services, to coaching and consulting, to full-blown virtual CFO services. Our mission is to disrupt the traditional accounting model through technology, innovation, and a radically client-focused approach that truly empowers nonprofits and social enterprises. For more information call (321) 233-3311, email email@example.com, and visit www.YourBlueFox.com.
Welcome to the Blue Fox Blog! A fairly entertaining source of info and news related to our company, nonprofits, social sector trends, and, of course, accounting. Enjoy!
Back to Basics: How to Set Up Your Nonprofit Chart of Accounts
How "Small" Payroll Mistakes Cause Multi-Year S#!t Storms for Nonprofits
Behind the Scenes, New Client Onboarding Call
When to Hire a Tax Professional - 10 Factors to Consider
40+ Ideas to Light a Fundraising Fire Under Your Nonprofit Board Members
Why Outsource Your Nonprofit Accounting to Blue Fox? Ask One of Our Newest Clients
Client CASE STUDY: One of The Most Financially Sustainable Nonprofit Orgs We Know
The Magical Nonprofit Financial Ratio Matrix
10 Reasons to Outsource Your Nonprofit Accounting
How to Make Your Nonprofit Recession-Proof
How to Engage Your Board of Directors in Financial Conversations
QB Tip of the Month: How to Use Classes for Painless Grant Writing
When to Hire an Accountant for Your Social Impact Org
Are You Paying Too Much for Payroll?
Blue Fox Teams Up With Bloomerang to Develop Nonprofit Resources
Blue Fox Earns Better Business Bureau Accreditation
Blue Fox Launches Protected By Logo
Blue Fox - The Origin Story