The Wonderful World of Micro-Donating! How Technology Met Fundraising, Had a Millennial Donor Baby, and Lived Happily Ever After
Wouldn’t it be great if your nonprofit could fundraise around the clock? What if you could bring in revenue while you’re sleeping and from a whole new demographic? There is a way! And, yes, of course, it has something to do with Blue Fox’s favorite thing, technology. We’re talking about the exciting and growing world of micro-donating or micro-philanthropy.
According to Tech’s Good, The Power of Micro-Donations, “Micro-donations (between $0.25 and $10) are the latest and most disruptive innovation in the world of giving. As technology in mobile payment methods continues to advance, credit card transaction fees have significantly decreased, making it now possible to donate as little as $0.25.” Wow, anyone can afford that!
Even more interesting, in CrowdRise by GoFundMe’s recent social fundraising data report it says, “We found that Millennials and Gen X generations made up nearly 50% of all GoFundMe donors.” What a great way to tap into a whole new demographic!
Let’s give three cheers for technology as a complement to your nonprofit fundraising efforts! Here is our non-exhaustive list of micro-philanthropy platforms that have collectively raised millions of dollars:
• AmazonSmile - Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization when users shop on the smile.amazon.com web browser.
• Causetap - For profit companies choose which interactions will trigger charitable giving (a purchase, newsletter sign-up, or social sharing) for the charity of their choice.
• CharityMiles – Users record their movement to earn money for a charity of their choice with funds coming from the corporate sponsor pool.
• Cheerful – A mobile app facilitating spare change collection on purchases to be donated to charity of your choice.
• Give2Charity – Users earn points simply by going about their day to exchange for donations.
• CrowdRise by GoFundMe – Users can create their personal fundraising page to collect donations.
• GoogleOneToday – Provides access to real-world photos and quick summaries for users to follow the impact of a $1 donation.
• Razoo - Donors can search for charities, donate quickly, and set up personal fundraising pages for the cause of their choice.
• Spotfund - App for micro-donating, also offering event ticketing, live auctions, creative agency, etc.
• SwearJar by Slack – When a team member swears on slack, a donation is made to the charity of the week.
Thinking about utilizing one of these applications for your charity? Check out this advice on starting a micro-philanthropy campaign, courtesy of Accesso, Fundraising in an Era of Micro Philanthropy.
Thinking about utilizing one of these applications for your charitable giving? Well, good, we did our job! Our team at Blue Fox is super passionate about supporting organizations that shape and create change in their communities, no matter how large or small. Well, we made the connection. Now, you go be the change. Better yet, go give your spare change!
• Accesso, Fundraising in an Era of Micro Philanthropy, by Stephanie Horwath
• NC State University, Why Micro-Donations Are the Future of Fundraising, by Gary Wohlfeill
• Tech’s Good, The Power of Micro-donations by Peter Prix
• Quara, What are similar initiatives to AmazonSmile, by Jason Grad
About: Our team at Blue Fox provides customized, boutique financial and back office services for social impact organizations. Services range from standard bookkeeping and payroll services, to coaching and consulting, to full-blown virtual CFO services. Our mission is to disrupt the traditional accounting model through technology, innovation, and a radically client-focused approach that truly empowers nonprofits and social enterprises. For more information call (321) 233-3311, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and visit www.YourBlueFox.com.
Welcome to the Blue Fox Blog! A fairly entertaining source of info and news related to our company, nonprofits, social sector trends, and, of course, accounting. Enjoy!
Client CASE STUDY: One of The Most Financially Sustainable Nonprofit Orgs We Know
Blue Fox + Bill.com = Clean Audits & Happy Clients
What Fuels Financial Sustainability?
The Magical Nonprofit Financial Ratio Matrix
Dear COVID-19, I'm Breaking Up With You
The Latest COVID-19 Resources for Nonprofits
10 Reasons to Outsource Your Nonprofit Accounting
6 Step Guide To Build Donor Trust
Our Favorite Resources for Nonprofit Fundraisers
3 Vital Resources for Nonprofit Start-ups
2020 Nonprofit Trend: The Virtual CFO
How to Make Your Nonprofit Recession-Proof
What Nonprofits Need to Know About the New Overtime Ruling
Double-entry Accounting Made Easy - Essential Desktop Guide, Free Download
Blue Fox CEO Named
As Keynote Speaker for Nonprofit Hub's Cause Camp 2020
5 Steps to Solving Complex Workflow Problems
The Hidden Cost of Wearing Too Many Hats
The Key to Workplace Success - Investments in Professional Development
Accounts Payable Made Easy - The Marriage of Bill.com and QuickBooks Online
Nonprofits - It's Time to Automate Your Back Office
How to Engage Your Board of Directors in Financial Conversations
How to Join the Social Enterprise Movement
Kindness Leads to More Profit & Productivity
Don’t Ignore This Nonprofit Management Advice
Building Blocks for A More Just, Equitable, and Inclusive Work Environment
QB Tip of the Month: How to Use Classes for Painless Grant Writing
Nonprofit Leaders - Talk Finance and Empower Your Staff
When to Hire An Accountant for Your Social Impact Org
Why Outsource Your Accounting?
That Time I Went to Cause Camp
Impact Investments in Yourself
Are You Paying Too Much for Payroll?
Financial Dashboards - Capture Attention, Create Conversations, Drive Results!
Don't Let FinTech Scare You - Our Top 4 Back Office Tech
The Wonderful World of Micro-Donating!
The Case for Kindness in Business
How Nonprofits Build Donor Trust: Be Transparent
5 New Year’s Resolutions for Sustainable Nonprofits
Why We’re on a Mission to Help Conservation Organizations
Money Matters - So Why Aren’t More Nonprofits Talking About It?
Tips to Get You A Clean Audit Every Year
Blue Fox Teams Up With Bloomerang to Develop Nonprofit Resources
Blue Fox Earns Better Business Bureau Accreditation
Blue Fox Launches Protected By Logo
Blue Fox - The Origin Story